How much money will I need for a year?
This is a very difficult question to answer as it depends a lot on how you choose to live, the amount of travel you do and how many mouths you have to feed!
Many volunteers budget approximately 10,000 ZAR per month as an individual this includes; food, toiletries, accommodation, ground transport (vehicle km), airtime and a small amount for entertainment.
In additional you will need to budget for once off annual cost including:
- Medical Insurance
- Annual Flight home
- At least two round trip flights in Africa (approx. 8, 000 ZAR per flight).
Please note all travel during your time with Hands will be at your own cost, make sure you fund raise accordingly.
For more information on budgeting for couples and families please contact your International Office.
For resources and material to aid in your support raising efforts contact your International Office.
Your one time Orientation and Transport fee is aprox. R6000. Please consult your International office for up to date cost in your countries currency.
The Orientation Fee Includes:
- Pick-up and drop-off from White River or Nelspruit. For more information please refer back to the Preparations Page.
- Arrangements and food for 4-Day community stay.
- All transport to and from different communities for program activities. Note: All personal transport will be billed at a per km rate.
- A weekly shopping trip into White River for groceries during your orientation.
- A weekly trip to church during your orientation.