How much money will I need for a year?
This is a very difficult question to answer as it depends a lot on how you choose to live, the amount of travel you do and how many mouths you have to feed!
Many volunteers budget approximately 9,000 ZAR per month as an individual this includes; food, toiletries, accommodation, ground transport (vehicle km), airtime and a small amount for entertainment.
In additional you will need to budget for once off annual cost including:
- Annual Flights home
- At least two round trip flight in Africa (approx. 10, 000 ZAR per flight) Please note all travel during your time with Hands will be at your own cost, make sure you fund raise accordingly.
For more information on budgeting for couples and families please contact your International Office.
One time Orientation and Transport fee is R5000.
The Orientation Fee Includes:
- Pick-up and drop-off from either Nelspruit Sonpark BP (City Bug drop-off point www.citybug.co.za) or White River Country Lodge (Lowveld Link drop-off point www.lowveldlink.com) or Kruger International Airport (you must arrange your own transport to one of these points
- Arrangements and food for 4-Day community stay (not all volunteers choose to do the community stay, but costs will be covered)
- All transport to and from different communities for program activities (personal transport will be billed at a per km rate – for more info, see transport section)
- A weekly shopping trip into White River for groceries (cost covered during 1st five weeks of program)
- A weekly trip to church (cost covered during 1st five weeks of program)